[hackspacebristol] Need to extend ADC on Arduino

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 11:50:37 UTC 2013

On 15 Jan 2013, at 11:34, adam armfield wrote:

> you can always make a version 1 then flog it to someone else with a van when v2 is ready

Ha! Well, I did think of something like that. Hence why I'm now thinking about keeping the battery monitoring totally separate from the rest of the unit as it makes it more modular and could be useful for other applications. I'm now also thinking that instead of just sending serial data to the main unit that this board could also log the data too, which then means I need something like an SD card slot and a RTC. Which is now getting into the realms of being easier to just use something like an Adafruit data logger shield and a Arduino Uno. But that increases the costs.

So my current specs for this unit are:

- Be able to read up to 4 analog inputs (3 from the ACS current sensors, 1 voltage divider)
- Log this data to some kind of storage such as SD card
- Keep track of time for the log data above
- Output the logged data real-time to a serial interface

I'm really surprised that no-one (that I can see) has created some kind of Arduino-clone board with a built in RTC, SD card, and prototype area. I've seen a few data logger projects that are close, but none can deal with 4 analog inputs, or they can't deal with sending data realtime.

The uLog is pretty close:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9228

And I'm guessing I could modify the source code to output the data realtime to serial and slow down the logging frequency to extend how long it can run on internal storage, but it is lacking a RTC.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton, Technical Director
Netsight Internet Solutions Limited

Registered in England No. 3892180
Registered office: 40 Berkeley Square, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1HU