[hackspacebristol] Need some advice about installing network cable in a new house

Patrick Neave patrick at neavey.net
Sat Jun 29 17:52:05 UTC 2013

Thats pretty much what I did when we had the extension built. I had cat5 routed to one socket in each room, they all meet in the garage in an 8-port switch. I suggest using cat6e, but I am not sure there is any advantage in running two cables, though why not I suppose. This gives Gb ethernet throughout the house (great for backing up to the server and streaming video from NAS to PS3) but as my broadband is only 60Mb it doesn’t make much difference there. I still need WiFi for iPads, smart phones and for the areas without a wired connection.