[hackspacebristol] Soldering QFN packages

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:03:28 UTC 2014

Arthur used the oven last night for the first time since modification.
Before doing the "real" board, it might be worth trying a couple of
sacrificial boards in order to assure yourself that you've got everything
(temp, solder, flux, phase of moon) set up correctly.

I haven't done any SMD soldering, but I will have to in the near future.
The links below may, or may not, be helpful - I'd be grateful for any
experience/comments.

http://product.tdk.com//mlcc/en/applicationnote/pdf/30_rework_methods_for_surface_mount_mlccs.pdf
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/Tools/
http://articulationllc.home.comcast.net/~articulationllc/sm0402.htm
http://www.avrfreaks.net/modules/FreaksArticles/files/15/Low%20Cost%20SMD%20Soldering%20Guide.pdf
http://www.dlharmon.com/solder/smd.html

I'm also going to be investigating using my slow cooker as a heat bath,
since it will be more convenient for me to apply paste, then components,
and then heat at home.

(No I won't be putting Pb solder in the cooking vessel! My slow cooker has
a solid aluminium exterior that gets hot.