[hackspacebristol] Using Oscilloscopes

matthew venn matt at mattvenn.net
Sat Jul 26 19:23:01 UTC 2014

wow! sounds pretty complete! I'll have to come on the course too! Perhaps
we could split it over a couple of sessions - a beginners and advanced.
I've used the sig gen recently and it works fine. Serial uarts aplenty in
the hackspace's arduino supply.

One thing to add to the list is working safely with mains. I've only just
done that myself.

Matt

On 26 July 2014 20:12, Tom Gardner <tggzzz+hs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 July 2014 19:26, matthew venn <matt at mattvenn.net> wrote:
>
>> Also we have about 4 spare scopes in the hackspace. The only one I use is
>> the digital agilent. The others can probably be taken by members unless
>> anyone objects? Maybe we could have one spare at the space and give away
>> the rest.
>>

> I'd rather keep several available, provided they work. Sometimes people
> prefer simple scopes for simple tasks, but need more capable scopes for
> more interesting tasks. Plus they break or are broken.
>

>> Currently 2 for scope training - Tom do you fancy doing a session next
>> Thursday?
>>

> The major issue from my PoV is that I've been using scopes for so long
> that I've forgotten what it is like for a beginner!
>
> I'm happy to do it, but I'd want to fiddle with the hackspace's signal
> sources, probes, leads, scope beforehand. Realistically that would occur
> next Thursday, so I'd suggest delaying a week.
>
> We'll need a "syllabus" and some simple and some interesting signal
> sources, e.g. sig gens and repetitive digital and intermittent digital
> (e.g.) UART signals.
>
> Off the top of my head, I think the syllabus should include (in no
> particular order):
>
>    - adjusting brightness/focus
>    - fixed/variable timebase
>    - y sensitivity and offset
>    - measuring voltage and time
>    - ac/dc/gnd y coupling
>    - auto/manual/singleshot ac/dc triggerering
>    - delayed timebase
>    - trigger holdoff
>    - why there are *1 and *10 probes and 50ohm probes; calibration of *10
>    probe
>    - relative costs of scopes and probes - and why
>    - (in)effective grounding for digital signals
>    - when to be cautious that you might destroy a probe, a scope, or your
>    circuit
>    - basic specs: input sensitivity, analogue bandwidth, sampling rate,
>    input resistance and capacitance - what you might need to see problems with
>    a 1MHz digital signal
>
> Suggestions welcome.

Matthew Venn
mattvenn.net