[hackspacebristol] Using Oscilloscopes

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:06:05 UTC 2014

Potential practical exercises/demos

   - sig gen to see
      - y scale and offset
      - timebase scale and offset and type
      - trigger level and type
      - sine wave plus uncalibrated *10 probe at different frequencies
      - square wave to calbrate *10 scope probe
      - poor probe grounding
      - switching power supply to look at switching noise
   - ac/dc coupling
      - triggering
      - uart (or any available digital signal on a board) to see
      - trigger holdoff
      - delayed timebase (if scope has one)
      - *1 probes vs *10 probes
      - poor probe grounding

What's the sig gen's risetime and frequency?

Safety is a very important topic which I'm happy for you to cover, but we
ought to ensure we don't propagate suboptimum practices.

Do we have any isolating transformers?