[hackspacebristol] Quadcopter with a camera?

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:24:45 UTC 2014

On 9 September 2014 11:57, Mark Palmer <Mark.Palmer at uwe.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think the thing here is whether there is any profit being made. If
> Bristol Cable is not for profit and whoever shot the video was in the same
> position the CAA rules to do with commercial set ups would not come into
> play. To that extent my reading of the rules would be that costs could be
> covered just as long as profit is not….. however even if the CAA rules as
> far as shooting video for profit  don’t apply, there are still rules that
> apply concerning safety such as the flying a safe distance from people.

I'm sure you know this, but others probably don't - and since drones are
becoming easily available it might help people avoid problems if they know
where the dragons lie.

There are also sensibly tight limitations relating to:

   - weight
   - controlled airspace (which can come down to ground level)
   - ATZs
   - built up areas
   - open air assemblies
   - vehicles and structures
   - people
   - flight objectives

See http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?CATID=1995 for the actual regulations.

Don't forget people have *already* been prosecuted and convicted
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2348

The UK isn't alone: last week the FAA started sending out speculative
"cease and desist" letters.

> As a result of this we’d really need to know what they were after…
>

> …anyway back to my build : )

Be good to see it after it is completed!