[hackspacebristol] Soldering iron recommendations?

Tom Gardner tggzzz+hs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 10:04:22 UTC 2016

The rapid tip changes might be a significant advantage, depending on what
you have to do.

If the tip has a low thermal mass then it might well be a much more
effective form of temperature control than most "temperature controlled"
irons. I speculate that would be particularly advantageous when *de*soldering
components. Or when up against things with large thermal mass, provided you
can get enough thermal contact and it has sufficient wattage.

For SMD, though a hot air gun will still be preferable, particularly to
avoid thermal stresses in ceramic components such as resistors and
capacitors.