[HacktionLab] question about IRC at climate camp

Mike Harris mike at slackmail.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 11:51:51 GMT 2008

Hi Mark,

The satellite dish has a range of IPs available, up to 5.  These are
public IPs and in theory the network could be set up so that a bridge is
used instead of a router for up to 5 machines publically.

However, we need far more than that, so the satellite modem is then
connected to a router (in this case a Draytek router) that then handed
out IPs using DHCP.

Therefore to the IRC server everything was coming from the same IP.

The only think that I can think of would be to use OpenVPN to allow
folks to remotely get into a machine on the net with a valid public IP
address.  But this seems overkill.

Is it not possible on IRC to control access to a channel based on nick
for example?  Or perhaps just set it to allow access from the same given
IP multiple times?

In short I see it as an IRC server admin issue, rather than a local
networking issue.  As I think that'll be easier to solve for all
instances.....

Mike.