[HacktionLab] HacktionLab 2009 and other events

Mike Harris mike at slackmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 08:35:32 GMT 2009

Hi All,

A very Happy New Year to you all.

I thought I'd drop a first tentative email about happenings for 2009 to
see what the response is and what we can get going.

Firstly HacktionLab:  I propose that we repeat the rural hacklab that we
did last year at the same venue of Highbury Farm in the Wye Valley.
Last year's lab ran from Friday eve to Sunday PM, I propose that this
year we start on Thursday eve so that we have two whole days of labs and
workshops and that Sunday be a chilled 'breakfast of reflection'.
Obviously this depends on how many of us could take the Friday off, so
let's band it about and see eh?

Dates-wise, I propose we do it roughly the same time as last year, so
this would be Thursday 11th till Sunday 14th June.

How does that sound?

Secondly other events: I've been in contact with the Big Green (Wed 29th
July till Sun 2nd August) and the Green Futures area of Glastonbury (Wed
24th till Sun 28th June) and both are up for having the 'Be The Media'
tent at both these events it seems.  I see this as comprising a tent
with some internet access terminals (courtesy of Bristol Wireless) and
then some promotion of alternative media, workshops and possibly films
in the evening.  Something simple, not too much work, good chance for
promotion, meeting people and being able to do stuff without the
stresses and strains of something like the camp for climate action.

I'm going to put together proposals for these on the Wiki and I'll send
the links to the list when done.

That's all from me for now, really looking forward to 2009 and doing
some great stuff together.  Please send all your thoughts and ideas for
HacktionLab or any other activity for 2009 to the list and lets get the
discussions going.