[HacktionLab] Food at this year's HacktionLab

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Mon May 18 21:04:54 BST 2009

Hi gdm,

That came across as a bit of lead ballon for me that mate.  :P

I do agree with you that in principal "activist" tools are better for
activists to use, but to be honest, I did produce a signup form that was
bespoke and closed, but hardly anyone filled it in, so it seemed like it
was the wrong approach.

So short of time and with the need to know how many people need cooking
for, I plummed for the corporate Doodle. /me ducks

It's just a sketch pad, you don't need to put your real name, you can
just put "participant x" or "activist z" if you want, names are not
important at all, it's just numbers that count for this.

I personally have no problems with people knowing that I'm going to be
eating leek and potato soup and bread; perhaps I'm missing the issue.
Perhaps Essential is infiltrated and someone will sneak something into
the lentils.  I have to say that I doubt it.

Perhaps IP addresses are being logged?  I suppose if that's of concern
one could use an Internet café?

I know we set-up the HacktionLab page on we.riseup.net but it's not
getting used.  Would you be up for getting it going and active and
promoting our use of it? that'd be really cool.  We need some help and
effort to get it going basically....

So, whilst yes I agree you're right about the use of corporate vs
activist tools where we're not in control of the data, it was a
practical solution.  I am guilty of not putting it out to the list to
find one first, but I feel it's a minor crime.

As above, perhaps if you'll lend a hand to get the activist alternative
set up and promoted then we can use it.  Can you do this gdm?

Even an activist one will be public.  Remenber Leeds, we used TikiWiki
in the form of a Docs.indymedia.org page; but it was still public
information.

So, please could someone either find an immediate working and useable
alternative or can we just use what we have and get on with things.

Thanks,

Mike.

Garcon du Monde wrote:
> hi,
>
> thanks mike for all your hard work - much appreciated.
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 05:05:22PM +0100, Mike Harris wrote:
>
> great to see you're using gpg :)
>
>> In order that we can get numbers for food orders and cooking
>> arrangements, I've created a Doodle for meals during HacktionLab.
>
> oh :/
>
> i won't be filling it in. it would be much better if something
> "activist" were used like "the decider" feature on the crabgrass site,
> https://we.riseup.net (note the httpS ;-)
>
>> If you are coming could you pleae fill out the meals that you'll be
>> there for.  We do really need to know.  Just enter your name (or code
>> name, or whatever) along with any handy information about your diet or
>> allergies you think we ought to know (within reason).
>>
>> http://doodle.com/tq2zgqt7h887n2qm
>
> yeah ^^ not encrypted. i know it's only food, but do you really want
> to let people know what you're going to be eating these few days?
> because, actually, you won't just be telling people what you'll be
> eating, you'll also be telling them what days you will be there (and
> what days you won't be at home), plus possibly other info that i am
> not even thinking of (what time you were connected to the internet,
> which emails you read, which lists you might be on, etc)... i think
> you get the point, anyway.
>
>> Cunningly this will also give us an idea of when to expect you and what
>> workshop slots are likely to be busy or not at all busy.  So even if you
>> already signed up to this list and already signed up using the old
>> (defunct) sign-up form, please do do the Doodle for us.  Thanks.
>
> ah, yep - all that info, too!
>
>> Finally, and I will send out a reminder nearer the time, we are short on
>> crockery and cutlery, so I propose that we all bring a plate, bowl,
>> spoon, fork and knife each.  Sorted. :)
>
> that all sounds very reasonable.
>
> so, please can we *not* use the corporate stuff to organise ourselves
> - there are enough free software and/or activist alternatives around:
> it's no longer 1999 - or even 2005!
>
> solidarity,

:)

> 	--gdm