[HacktionLab] Anyone up for some live linkup with this Arnolfini gig?

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 17:05:13 GMT 2009

Hi Mark,

Let me know about the web cam.

Otherwise, let's do audio, via perhaps something like gnome meeting,
jabber or failing that skype (sorry).  That would sound reasonable.

This gig is fixed time between 3pm and 5pm and this would be good any
time from about 3.30pm onwards....

I'll have more of a think and wait to hear about the video side of
things and get back to you tomorrow.

Nice one Mark,

Mike.

Quoting mark <mark at aktivix.org>:

> Hi Mike
>
> Mike Harris wrote:
>> Niceone!  First question I suppose is what kit will you have available
>> your end and what kind of uplink speed for net access?
>
> I'm fairly well-equipped for audio. I have a field-recorder with a USB
> port on it (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/) so I could get
> a stereo field from that into my laptop. If necessary I could also mix
> in one or two cardioid mics in front of presenters. Video-wise I've just
> got a stills camera that claims to be able to act as a VGA webcam
> through the USB port - I'll test it this evening.
>
> For output, we have a fairly standard projector & hi-fi cinema set-up in
> the area we'll be meeting in.
>
> My laptop is a ThinkPad T500 2.4GHz dual-core with 2GB RAM running
> ubuntustudio 9.10, with jackd, alsa and pulseaudio all playing nicely.
> I've never used it for video before.
>
> The bad news is that 1in12 are uncertain about their connectivity.
> Recently they measured their downlink speed at 1Mb/s and uplink 300Kb/s.
> They're currently working through some instructions I gave them on
> improving SNR on their phone line, removing ring wire legs and old
> extensions, etc.. They have a router that supports QoS.
>
> In terms of production, I was thinking we could use the last slot of the
> day to do this, and ask 2 or 3 people on each end to each give a
> 2-minute summary of something they'd worked on that day - using
> non-technical language - which would double-up as a 'review of the day'
> session - and lead into an open discussion over the channel. If we did
> that I guess we'd need to devise a facilitation method in advance.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mark

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893