[HacktionLab] Names for things

Garcon du Monde gdm at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Nov 24 20:23:22 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:47:56PM +0000, planet-mail at aktivix.org wrote:
> or Achtung-lab!
>
> but seriously, re summer names, kinda depends on the vision for the
> event... and perhaps importantly the intended size... call it
> something like the "ecotech gathering" and you might find 200 ppl
> camped in yer field :)

that would be fantastic!!!

the idea is to have a bigger camp with newer people - i.e. people
wanting to learn stuff, but who aren't quite sure where to
begin. there'd be serious workshops led by someone experienced. and
that would be it.....

well, not quite it: the more experienced geeks could do really geeky
stuff in the background when they're not doing whatever workshop
they've volunteered to run.

so, i guess the vision was something like:

 * 40-odd "learners"
 * 8-10 "teachers"
 * probably, a dedicated kitchen crew

and everyone gets to share each others' company in the evenings.

> Quoting "Mike Harris" <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:
>
> > i do agree with mick though, i think that the summer event needs a less
> > nerdy name, here's some more ideas:
> >
> > technocamp
> > geekcamp

these ones are ok - but i think if it's too "geek" heavy, it will disuade newcomers

> > system failure

we want it to be a success!

> > rebootcamp

would new people understand this?

> > the electronic frontiers gathering

i think that sounds too much like the EFF - but maybe that's a good
thing?

> > ecotech gathering

that's a good one (and, probably my favourite so far)

> > big green geekering

also not bad, but too similar to the big green gathering?

solidarity,

	--gdm