[HacktionLab] how many pages, was: printing quotes

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 21:19:45 BST 2010

Hi John,

Thanks for the input and the thoughts.  It's really useful to have the
input.  The confusion seems to have come from my sketchy minuting, I've
updated the style guide to reflect what we discussed in Oxford:
http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/Minutes_of_Spring_HacktionLab_2010#New_style_guide

But to summarise for this thread, we agreed:

* 24 sides of A5 (could be less, like 20 or 16), including front and
back covers.
* 1,200 words for the intro and 600 for each article.
* Each article accompanied by an image, where there's space and it adds
to it.
* We agreed to spend 60 - 75 quid on 500 copies.
* We agreed that it would be lightweight, and not crammed full and
overwhelming for the reader.

So that pretty much concurs with your thoughts :)

Hope that clears it up :)

> Hi there
> How many pages are people are talking about here?
> Ana's text below suggests 12 pages including cover (that's 3 sheets of
> A4 paper printed both sides and folded). You could get 600 words on an
> A5 sheet but without pics or other extras - any tighter and it'd be
> very crammed. Plus you presumably need one page for contents (let
> alone an index, list of references, etc) - so it's doable but tight
>
> Another email suggests 24 pages - which would be bags of room
>
> I would suggest doing 16 pages (4 x A4 sheets folded) - that would
> allow several of the articles to be longer than 600 - with added pics
> - plus there would be a page for a contents table. It would be easier
> to read than if it was 12 pages.
>
> Unless people really want 24 pages: the room could be used to make it
> even easier on the eyes, plus pics, and it would loose the crammed
> density normally associated with zines.
>
> People need to make a choice - how much extra to spend to make it
> easier to read and less crammed.
>
> Having done several pamphlets and seen hundreds, the more I see the
> more I realise that zines with tiny fonts and inpenetratable blocks of
> text which are poorly printed don't help deseminate the material - if
> you're trying to get new people into stuff, then go the extra distance
> to make it something that new people can get their heads around - It's
> stuff like having clear, consistent entry points for text like
> headlines and subheads, highlighted bits and blocks of text which have
> a sort of visual logic to them - none of which is possible if the
> thing is really crammed.
Totally agreed.