[HacktionLab] You are invited: Hyperaction #1

mark mark at aktivix.org
Tue Apr 20 17:25:49 BST 2010

This is the invitation to Hyperaction-1, a summit that was mentioned at
the recent HL meeting in Oxford. As you can see from the (linked) draft
agenda, people want to discuss coding the future of the radical internet
and the need for syndication projects. Should be good!

Greetings fellow hyper-activists!

After several years of working on the Indymedia CMS Hyperactive, we are
organising our very first summit of hyperactive users and developers and
you are invited!

Come down for Hyperaction #1:
date: May 7-9 2010
location: tbc

*Intro:*

Starting with the intention of writing a better calendar for Indymedia,
IMC London got so enthusiastic that we started developing a whole new
site, which we launched at the Anarchist Bookfair in 2008. We were
beaten to it by Indymedia Denmark taking their testing site life some
months before that. Last year IMC Northern England got on the
hyperaction train and IMC Nottingham has been testing the site to see if
they want to join us and the Cambridge Action Network has adapted it
into a calendar for their upcoming events.

Since it’s first deployment, Hyperactive has braved the G20 summit in
London, the Blackheath Climate Camp and the COP15 summit in 2009.

*Why a summit?*

Hyperactive has started locally, but grown quite a bit, so a lot of
people using hyperactive have never met. We want to get everyone
together to exchange our experiences, figure out how to prioritise our
many ideas for new features and all the awesome things we could do with
hyperactive and get to know each other and have an great time.

While Hyperactive is offering great features, and mostly people seem to
be enjoying to work with hyperactive, there’s already a long list of
things people want. Check out Hyperaction 1 for some ideas of what we
want to talk about.

Also local collectives have different experiences and are using
different features, we invite all collectives to take a look at everyone
else’s websites, and discuss what features they may want to adopt:
Imc Denmark:   http://indymedia.dk/
Imc London:  http://london.indymedia.org/
Imc Northern England:  http://northern-indymedia.org/
Imc Nottingham:  http://notts.indymedia.org.uk/
CAN Calendar:  http://can.escapegoat.org/

*What’s going to happen?*

The idea is to have spaces for discussions as well as practical working
sessions, to provide a space for new people, and non-geeks to get
involved, as well as a space for the techies to create new and work on
existing features.

Check out https://we.riseup.net/hyperactive/hyperaction-1 for things
people want to do/discuss. What exactly is going to happen will be up to
all of us. But obviously we want it to be fun and productive event!

To get in touch email escapegoat at lists.aktivix.org

See you soon!
mara