[HacktionLab] To pay (in advance) or not to pay: we decide!

Steve Woods woodsy at bristolwireless.net
Fri Apr 23 15:42:56 BST 2010

Quoting "Mike Harris" <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:

> Hi All,
>
> Over the last couple of weeks I've been discussing whether to get people
> to pay up for hacktionlab this year in advance, and if so how.
>
> There are two reasons for going down this line of thinking:
>
> Firstly it is to cover the initial costs for fuel, food, refreshments,
> hire of stuff, sundries prior to the event so that we don't incurr a
> huge financial risk: I've done a rough calculation and I reckon, based
> on last year's figures, that this year's BarnCamp might cost as much as
> 1,800 to put on!
>
> And secondly, and possibly more importantly, it's to get people to make
> a commitment to come, so that we can correctly calculate how much food
> and drink to buy and plan how many meals to cook, how many workshops to
> run etc.  I've seen before, with HacktionLab and other gigs, that when
> you get someone to book and pay for something, they are more likely to
> take their committment seriously and turn up.
>
> So the question here is do we get payment up front?  This could be a
> deposit or 15 pounds or the whole amount of 31 pounds.

Hi Mike/all

I say a definite yes to getting some payment before the event. Getting
the whole amount would mean those that do dip into their pockets in
advance of the event for materials, food, etc., most likely wouldn't
have to happen to the same extent as previously - or at all.

> And if we do, is it safe to use paypal?  We did use it back last summer
> for getting money in for the Big Green gig.

I think we mentioned whilst in Oxford having an alternative for
Luddites like me who still use cheques. :)

Cheers
Woodsy