[HacktionLab] BarnCamp 2011!

yossarian yossarian at aktivix.org
Wed Jun 23 10:44:34 BST 2010

On 23/06/10 10:35, ben at bristolwireless.net wrote:
> Quoting "mick fuzz" <mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org>:
>

>> great stuff!!!
>>
>> Also - maybe we should get our heads together to work out what could be a
>> focus for the 'geek fest' Autumn hacktionlab.
>>
> Yep, needs a focus. I've been mulling it but nothing's popped out yet. Anyone?

One thing I've been thinking about is that we need to come up with some
kind of plan to deal with 2 problems:

a) we do all this work but most activists don't use the self-organized
code/services we provide and don't see self-managed infrastructure as
being in any way important. It's way too common to see people about
smashing the state, using an address ending in @hotmail.com or
@gmail.com.  Could we / should we come up with some kind of plan to
improve the situation?

b) our self-managed infrastructure isn't that great or competitive with
corporate services in a lot of cases.  What if we applied the Ubuntu
"hundred papercuts" model to a weekend and identified a bunch of pain
points?  This could be a good way of including less geeky people and
fixing their specific problems.

As far as self-organized barncamp infrastrucutre goes, I can keep
working on the registration app if people think it was helpful.
Currently it's a little bit hard-coded and lacks some features, but with
a bit more work it could easily turn into a "deploy this and organize
your own conference with it" kind of app.  Can I get some (brutally
honest) feedback about the registration app off the list?

Yoss

ps thanks to every one of the hundred or so people who bought me a pint
on Saturday night, it made Sunday very memorable for everyone in the car
with me on the ride back.