[HacktionLab] Reply to to person, rather than list

Carl van Tonder carl at supervacuo.com
Fri Mar 26 12:33:40 GMT 2010

Alan,

The second link is the middle in the sequence of "Reply to: munging
(not) considered harmful" posts; the first is Chip Rosenthal's and the
third is Neale Pickett's in 2001 (which I posted earlier). Neale's
response to Simon Hill's defence of munging is that the whole issue is
solved once and for all by RFC 2822.

Re: the activix discussion that you mentioned, I don't think that the
lack of munging "valorizses individual communication over the
collective"; instead, it encourages people not to become better-informed
about the technology that they use; surely we should encourage the
opposite? The culture of having conversations in public is a social
construct, not a technical one, and it could be encouraged (as on many
of the most successful FOSS lists) by social rather than technical
means.

Regards,

Carl