[HacktionLab] missing workshop - publishing your news anonymously

JimDog theinnercityhippy at riseup.net
Tue May 4 11:48:14 BST 2010

Cool.

Well if we bring the northern media centre with us, it can be used for this and to demonstrate what's possible in terms of mikes workshop as well. It basically has both wired and wireless access as well as a server on the network for internal resources, file storage etc as well and is self contained in a neat way and solar/bike powered.

It's a good demonstration of what can be set up quickly for camps, marches and events without needing things like a plug socket or wired internet access.

I could do a brief bit on how to make an rj45 cable for networking bits together, and maybe the relative merits of different 3g networks, the pitfalls to watch out for based on our experience and also making sure the wireless is secure and why (which is also relevant to home networks). This could maybe take the form of a brief wep cracking demonstration?

Obviously this would all be kept to a geek minimum, but does this sound ok as an idea (taking out the crossover with mikes one which it would be great to collaborate on).

Jimdog