[HacktionLab] Internet Access

ben at bristolwireless.net ben at bristolwireless.net
Fri May 14 08:39:25 BST 2010

Quoting JimDog <theinnercityhippy at riseup.net>:

> Hey tim
>
> last year internet was available 24/7 through a combination of a
> satellite linkup and an adsl connection that was kindly provided by
> the good folk at the farm. I'm imagining that the sat will be making
> an appearance this year - mike, is this the case? Northern imc will
> also be bringing their 3g networking equipment if a suitable signal
> is about. Reliable Internet is certainly top of most peoples
> wishlists when planning the barncamp.
>
> As for mobile signal. I had a consistently good signal (on o2 ) for
> the whole weekend last year, but i'm aware that for some on some
> networks it was a bit hit and miss. Perhaps others could relay their
> experience of this to the list so we can get a better picture?
>
> Look forward to seeing you there.
>
> Jimdog
> (barncamper)

Internet has been pretty damn good for being a barn/field, but if you
are looking for a way to make it better, we could do with people bring
a number of UPS. The main trouble we had last time was that the power
kept going. Fine for people on laptops and 3G, but not for anyone
depending on ADSL. It's hoped that we'll get some UPS for various key
services, but the more the merrier.

Cheers,
==