[HacktionLab] Hacktion Lab workshop proposal

yossarian yossarian at aktivix.org
Mon Oct 25 13:53:40 BST 2010

Hi Alan,

Unlike you appear to be, I've been a little de-motivated for the last
few months and haven't been getting much done, code-wise.  But I am sort
of coming back online and getting more done for the past few weeks.  I
agree completely that we need to make some kind of coding / systems push
vis a vis the way we're interfacing with corporate systems, and I also
agree that improving our outbound interfaces with, for example, Twitter,
is a good idea.

In the London Indymedia collective, we've been talking a lot lately
about exactly the issues you're raising here - and although we have been
pretty firm about trying to ensure that we don't become totally
dependent on corporate resources to carry out our work, we also think
that pushing our content *out* into corporate systems is smart.  We
haven't been doing much of it yet, but it would be easy to do so
(perhaps by hooking into the systems we're already using to push
notifications into IRC, for example).

On 22/10/10 01:44, Alan Dawson wrote:

> Is anybody interested in discussing this further ?

Yes.

> Like...
> * there is lots of talk about pubsubhub, ActiveStream and oStatus, but I dont know anything about this, can anybody help ?
> * How about oAuth and hyperactive, allowing statusnet users to link to hyperactive accounts ?
> * Can we repackage a microblog app, strip out all the things we dont need ( like corporate link shorteners), preset publish server details and get it in android marketplace ?
> * Jabber XMPP bridges?

Looks like we will have lots to talk about at the Hacktionlab :)

Yossarian