[HacktionLab] 12 volt calculator

protag protag at aktivix.org
Mon Apr 11 22:19:40 UTC 2011

Hi

I really admire Mike's piece for hitting all the key points in a
digestible length document, and once I got away from the crappy
computers in my place of work the Javascript calcs worked really nicely.

But it did spur me into thinking about the voltage issues Jimdog refers
to, and power amp stuff kriptick has mentioned.

The Allen & Heath amps are brilliant for convincing customers that it's
a "real" PA, and there's a lot to be said about all that, but I kind of
think the future is with Class H amps. I have some 24v modules which I
intend to try out soon on an unsuspecting public...

Speaker efficiencies also vary massively, as do, to a slightly lesser
degree, cabinets of differing designs...

I was also about to hack into some lights I have that have 24v switch
mode supplies in them, then I realised that whenever I'm using them
there'll almost always be a big inverter running anyhow and what mains
is really good for is power transmission over (medium) distance (that
skinny cable thing) so probably not worth the outlay in fat cable and
chunky connectors just to miss out on the losses in those PSUs.

There are also lots of issues around how much power you get out of a
lead acid battery vs. the discharge rate, which might seem too detailed,
but if someone gets the idea that a 100Ah battery will run their
operation for ten hours, they might go on to assume that a 10Ah battery
will run the same system for an hour (which you might want to do it
riding around on a bike) but it's unlikely to as ratings are typically
given as C10 (meaning you'll get 10 amps for 10 hours out of a 100Ah
battery, but not 100A for one hour, and certainly not 1000A for six
minutes).

I have some supposedly 270Ah batteries which always seemed a bit small
(not three times the size of 90Ah batteries, which you'd expect them to
be) until I found out they were rated at C100 - 2.7A for 100hours, but
somewhat less than 27A for 10hours.

Anyhow, like I said, spurred me into thoughts, started writing it down,
turned into War & Peace before I'd finished the introduction, gave up.
Bit like this email.

Congrats to Mike for actually delivering some output!

Protag