[HacktionLab] Some info about BarnCamp 2011

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 15:20:44 UTC 2011

 Hi everyone,

I'm getting a few queries in about this year's BarnCamp.  I thought I'd
pre-empt them with a quick email to you all to answer questions.

Firstly, yes it's on, it's at Highbury Farm again and it's live on the
web at http://hacktivista.net/barncamp

There's a pretty hires flyer/poster for it that you can download at
http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/File:Barncamp2011-hires.png

It's going to be over three full days this year.  Friday 10th, Saturday
11th and Sunday 12th.

For the Saturday and Sunday the format will be the same as last year,
with workshops comprising of pre-organised ones and a load of open space
/ bar camp sessions that we decide during the event.  If you'd like to
run a workshop, please add your proposals to the wiki page at:

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2011_Workshop_Proposals

We've added the Friday back this year, and this is for what we're
calling 'work sessions'.  These are for people to bring larger projects
along that they want to actually get down to some work on and so these
sessions may take half a day or even a full day on the Friday, and some
may choose to continue working on them for the rest of BarnCamp.

Please add your proposals to the page at:

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2011_Work_Session_Proposals

The cost this year is going to be 35 quid.  This is to cover the extra
day and includes all meals and up to four nights camping.  We can give
concessions of course, and there'll be details of how to get in touch
about this when we launch the registration.

If you're wanting to come, I can assure you that the registration is
almost live, we're just testing it.  In the meantime, please don't email
me or anyone else, nor send money, just hold your horses!  I promise all
the information you need will be available shortly :)

Highbury Farm is also looking for willing volunteers to help prepare
meals for the Saturday and Sunday.  Feeding people is probably the most
important and appreciated aspect of BarnCamp.  If this sounds up your
street, there'll be space on the registration for you to let us know
about this.  Or just drop an email to barncamp2011 at hacktivista.net
letting us know that you're up for it.

We're also looking for willing performers to entertain us on the Friday
and/or Saturday night, and also techs.  If this is you, sign up at:

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2011_Entertainment

Finally, as per last year, we hope to have a kids area, but once again,
no pets are allowed as Highbury Farm is a working organic farm.

More information real soon.  I promise.

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893
0: http://mbharris.co.uk/keys/pgp.html