[HacktionLab] Booki - FLOSS Manuals and Sourcefabric Announce New Partnership for Open Source Publishing Software

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Fri Dec 2 19:22:58 UTC 2011

https://www.sourcefabric.org/en/community/news/828/

Booki has been handed over to Source Fabric to develop.
Source Fabric also do Airtime, which we use for the Internet Radio.

This means that any bugs and or feature requests we have for using booki
when we are doing the Tech Tools for Activism should get quicker response

there's a press release below.

The open source not-for-profit organisations FLOSS Manuals Foundation
and Sourcefabric are pleased to announce their newly forged partnership
to maintain and develop the code base behind FLOSS Manuals' successful
free software documentation platform.

Said Adam Hyde of FLOSS Manuals: "We've been actively looking for
partners to help achieve our mission. As FM goes from strength to
strength, we're happy to partner with an organisation that has the track
record of Sourcefabric in order to allow our platform to grow even further."

FLOSS Manuals' open source platform is designed to help people produce
books on free software, by themselves or working collaboratively with
others. Users can create books, work on the content, and then export
content in minutes as book-formatted PDFs or EPUBs.

Recent features have enabled users to keep track of the activity of
everyone working on their project, chat with them in real time, and post
Twitter-like status messages. All books are released under the GNU
General Public License, meaning content can be reused and remixed by
other books and authors, by simply cloning books or importing chapters.

"In partnering with FLOSS Manuals, we will contribute resources to
developing the platform and will help apply this highly successful model
to other fields," said Sava Tatić, managing director at Sourcefabric.
"Mainstream publishing, journalism and education sectors are all looking
for new ways to author, edit and distribute books. FLOSS Manuals has
shown it can be done successfully with a platform that is free, open
source and highly collaborative."
About Sourcefabric

The Czech-based Sourcefabric produces open source tools for media
organisations including Airtime, Newscoop, and Superdesk. They have
previously funded new features for the FLOSS Manuals platform and host
all their software documentation on the site in English, Spanish and
Russian. Since launching in April 2010, Sourcefabric has won a
Knight-Batten Award and was a finalist in the Ashoka Changemakers
Citizen Media Innovation Contest.
About the FLOSS Manuals Foundation

The FLOSS Manuals Foundation fosters the growing FLOSS Manuals language
communities with over 3,000 registered members who have produced books
on tools like Firefox and Wordpress and titles such as How to Bypass
Internet Censorship. Through its work on the documentation software as
well as facilitating Book Sprints and Documentation Sprints, FLOSS
Manuals Foundation works to support the production of Free Manuals for
Free Software.