[HacktionLab] Fleeing riot police on foot? There's an app for that

planet-mail at aktivix.org planet-mail at aktivix.org
Fri Feb 4 14:21:52 GMT 2011

hey,

this was an evolution from the kids who did the google live map of the
previous big london student demo that got pretty rioty.

that gots loads of coverage from the press in terms of kids outwit the
kettling cops with tech - where as in fact the map was of no use what
so ever but it did get loadsa media attention.

sukey has 2 parts to it.

a backoffice analysis of tweets and good old direct texts and phone
calls from their mates and wider circles - think of it as indymedia
dispatch - which were then tweeted out back down to twitter
subscribers or those who were following their twitter stream via the
twitter sms sign up.

you can see their output here - they sent 15 updates in total:
http://twitter.com/sukeysms

(note: status net could be useful here to provide a more privacy
orientated way of accessing such info)

the other part was the APP, which _could_ be useful to people on the
ground, but it didn't really work last saturday because

a) they only released the app on the day and not many people used it,
even less with gps and google lattitude enabled, nor did many people
use other channels to submit info about police behaviours.

b) there were very few police blockades and no attempted kettling, so
the thing was not needed anyway.

ISSUES

some of the kids are pretty apolitical, which in itself isn't a
problem, but they don't seem to think that security is much of an
issue (since their project is aimed at PEACEFUL protesters)

they have now finally put up a paragraph cautioning that whilst they
take their security seriously, the 3rd party providers (mobile telcos,
twitter, google etc) may hand data over to the authorities.
Unfortunately they put this info on a page titled "Warning For Idiots"
   http://www.sukey.org/idiotwarning

other links:

peaceful protest App without any mobile phone network Communications
Data or Traffic Data anonymity
https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk/ssl/spyblog/2011/01/29/sukey--protest-app-without-any-mobile-communications-data-anonymity.html

Inside the anti-kettling HQ
A group of young computer geeks is wielding a new weapon in the fight
against controversial police tactics at demonstrations
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/02/inside-anti-kettling-hq

sukey article on london indymedia
https://london.indymedia.org/articles/7065

Quoting sam at bristolwireless.net: