[HacktionLab] Richard Stallman speaking tour of England next week

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Feb 28 13:33:09 GMT 2011

I reckon I might go to the London one, anyone else heading down?

Cheers

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 21:21:41 -0800 (PST)
From: John Hodge <jhodge_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: [HacktionLab] Richard Stallman speaking tour of England next
	week
To: hacktionlab at lists.psand.net

Richard Stallman is doing 5 talks at various locations around the
country in
early March. It seems his main current activity is around raising awareness
against anti-downloading legislation, corporations imposing Digital Rights
Management and cracking down on copyright infringements - so it's not the
standard rant from him about free software. For this tour I attempted to
set up
some dates where he could speak in social centres and attract the sorts who
might engage in activism around these topics - which is what he wants -
- -----------------8<---------------
LONDON - March 7th 5.30pm-9.30pm
A Free Digital Society
Activities directed at ?including? more people in the use of digital
technology
are predicated on the assumption that such inclusion is invariably a good
thing.  It appears so, when judged solely by immediate practical
convenience.
However, if we also judge in terms of human rights, whether digital
inclusion is
good or bad depends on what kind of digital world we are to be included
in.  If
we wish to work towards digital inclusion as a goal, it behooves us to
make sure
it is the good kind.
Savoy Place
London (Directions here www.theiet.org/about/locations/savoy_location.cfm)
Register online here http://localevents.theiet.org/register.php?event=bc7fd2

BRIGHTON - March 8th 7pm
Copyright vs Community in the Age of Computer Networks
Copyright developed in the age of the printing press, and was designed
to fit
with the system of centralized copying imposed by the printing press.
But the
copyright system does not fit well with computer networks, and only
draconian
punishments can enforce it.
The global corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for
draconian
punishments, and to increase their copyright powers, while suppressing
public
access to technology.  But if we seriously hope to serve the only
legitimate
purpose of copyright--to promote progress, for the benefit of the
public--then
we must make changes in the other direction. This talk will also cover the
unjust goals of the Digital Economy Act and what the UK ought to do instead.
Chichester Lecture Theatre, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH

- -------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

- ------------------------------

End of HacktionLab Digest, Vol 34, Issue 19

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://is.gd/gpgkey/

** Check out our new, improved online shop: http://tr.im/nishop **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK