[HacktionLab] Android + Mesh + Diaspora + PGP?

sam at bristolwireless.net sam at bristolwireless.net
Sun Jan 30 20:30:13 GMT 2011

Reading a few things out of Egypt made me think about managing without
the internet. My mind wandered a bit and I wondered if in a few years
we might have;

1) Mesh networking on Android devices
http://www.des-testbed.net/content/android-based-mobiles-mobile-wireless-mesh-routers
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/communication/wifi-tethering-mesh-wap-client_qjfi.html

2) A PGP enabled Diaspora instance hosted on each of those Android devices
https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Prettygooddiaspora
http://groups.google.com/group/diaspora-dev/browse_thread/thread/942049a8f8267a85

I realise that we are nowhere near this yet, but give it a couple of
years and could a crowd carry their own self-healing, encrypted
communications network with them?

Then we would just have to worry about battery life!

Sam