[HacktionLab] Fwd: [Newmedia] Fwd: Web server/host advice - as discussed

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Mon Jul 4 23:28:49 UTC 2011

On Mon 04 Jul 2011 14:58:34 BST, mick fuzz [mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org]
emailed subject: "Re: [HacktionLab] Fwd: [Newmedia] Fwd: Web server/host
advice - as discussed" saying ...

>> same goes for nologic - i have never seen anything that indicates a
>> level of security-awareness. however, i have heard they host some
>> relatively big sites.
>>

> I know these guys. I believe they don't log ip-addresses.
> What other concerns would there be for this kind of activist hosting. I'm
> sure that they would want to implement them if they don't already.
>
> Is there some kind of guide we could point people towards?

Not that I can find. Wouldn't it be great if it existed (and please let
me know if it does)

This thread has made me think of two things. Wouldn't it be great if ...

1. There was a place where different activist / activist supporting
hosts could be compared to each other on the basis of the services they
provide?

2. Would it be a Good Thing to try and share some of the knowledge that
people have in creating secure hosting to others that want to do the same?

I think there's a solid role for tech activists to be able to guide
people (many of whom have become used to rely on the 'free speech' of
the likes of Facebook, wordpress.com, et. al.) to activist outlets for
online organising. And to guide them to becoming those outlets if that's
what they want to do.

I'm really up for project managing and developing some content* (online,
printed, whatever) that answers this in one place:

1. Where can I get good, secure, activist hosting?
2. How can I provide good, secure, activist hosting?

Is anyone else up for this? If so, have a look at a possible structure
at https://we.riseup.net/hacktionlab/secure-activist-friendly-webhosting
(very, very draft form) and get in touch with me and let's see if we can
come up with something.

I find deadlines help me - replies by end July?

Cheers

* I can project manage, and I can write techy stuff in plain English,
and am willing to put quite a bit of time into this if others are - but
I would definitely need contributions from proper (security) techs to
make this happen.

> * install apache mod remove_ip
> * turn off ftp logs
> * take down policy?