[HacktionLab] skype closing down free group calls

Michael Reinsborough m.reinsborough at qub.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 15:57:34 UTC 2011

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/features/allfeatures/group-video-calls/

Perhaps people will remember skype allowed group conference calls for free in the past.  They are now creating a two tier business model- free skype and subscription skype which will allow the group chat function

the possibilities of group video conferencing for international solidarity work have only been taken up slowly by radical activist communities.  while video conference calls might not be able to replace in-person meetings they can certainly support them and replace expensive and time consuming second meeting travel which often cuts out the working class, precarious and unemployed activist community and thus a significant chunk of the most radical and heartfelt politics

can anyone else suggest alternative voice-over-ip and video-over-ip services?
For example, have we built our own?  like crabgrass with built in video conferencing for groups?

how much capital does it take to construct and maintain video-over-ip services?

solidarity & autonomy,
michael