[HacktionLab] Barn Camp Dual boot - anyone up for it?

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Wed Jun 1 09:03:55 UTC 2011

On 01/06/2011 09:59, Adelayde Skidmore wrote:
>  On 31/05/2011 22:19, penguin wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> I was looking through the rather excellent and eclectic mix of workshops
>> proposed for this year's Barn Camp. I was wonder if there was a gap, and
>> if there was, would some people be willing to fill it?
>>
>> Would anyone be up for doing a workshop on dual booting?
> didn't we do one last year?
>
> the only thing is that it can get quite technical this topic, for
> example, if you've a machine with linux+windows on it where windows has
> taken over, then the process of getting linux on the windows boot menu
> can be quite complex - involving booting using a rescue cd under linux,
> using dd, booting windows and editing its boot up configuration, etc...
>
> i guess also that there's so many different combinations, such as:
>
> * pc: windows, then linux installed
> * pc: linux, then windows installed
> * mac: os x + windows or os x + linux, or all three
> * pc/mac: any and all of the above combined with free bsd, open bsd,
> centos, beos, os/2
>
> personally I wonder if it might not be better to concentrate on
> virtualisation stuff, and introduce people to virtual box and similar
> software?
>
> actually, isn't that what we did last year?  it was me, Mick and Ben I
> think, we did dual booting and virtualisation....

I would keep it separate and build on what happened last year. Andy was
good at dealing with what came up.

I think that the workshops have different levels of linux skills needed
and geekyness.

I think it would be great to build 2 workshops based around this
knowledge and these tools.

http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/2010_Workshop_Notes_BarnCamp#Dual_Boot_and_Virtualization