[HacktionLab] is tech political? [WASRe: ogg camp -]

Adelayde Skidmore adelayde at riseup.net
Fri Jun 17 15:46:51 UTC 2011

> hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:30:01AM +0100, penguin wrote:
>> On a slightly more serious note, I'm finding currently finding it
>> interesting to think that most conversations I've had within HactionLab
>> have been around how to get 'political activists' to be a bit more tech
>> savy, but am now wondering if there's as important a role to get 'tech
>> activists' a bit more political savy.
+1
> i find that question a little bit offensive, actually, as if people
> don't value the work i (and other tech activists) do. but - maybe you
> don't? which i think is *definitely* a reason to try and "get 'political
> activists' to be a bit more tech savy".
gdm, I don't think you're amongst the 'tech activists' that was thought
of as the target audience, although it's probably true that many free
software tech activists are also politically aware, and possibly, dare I
say it, by the mere nature of FLOSS, even more so, that some political
activists.
> otoh, there is also definitely a place for teaching more techs about
> politics, and why we do the things we do, and try to get them to
> become active.
+1