[HacktionLab] BGG letter - power

Adelayde Skidmore adelayde at riseup.net
Fri Jun 17 15:52:23 UTC 2011

> Hi
>
>> Excuse my ignorance on this but could that kit provide enough power to
>> run a LTSP suite with let's say 10 to 15 clients + the internet dish
>> (we are not sure yet if we'd need it but let's count on it).
>>
>> @BenG could you please give us more details of the amount of power the
>> above kit would need?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Llanos
> By the way, sorry I missed you all at camp this year :(
>
> About power - there's a doc on the Hacktion lab wiki somewhere* talking
> about a similar thing to this. As I recall there's a long list of
> multiplications then a conclusion which I read as "we didn't like the
> answer so we tried again". :)
>
> Those six panels make 480watts when it's sunny. There are four batteries
> which are nominally 270Ah each.
>
> So, er, I dunno, four hours of serious sun is approx 2kWh per day (or 200w
> for 10 hours)
>
> The reserve power of the batteries is probably 4 x 200Ah, so, 800Ah @ 12v
> = 9.6kWh
1 have 4 x 220Ah 6 V batts = 440Ah @ 12 volt on board my van, which
would be sufficient to run the 'back office', such as the dish and
router, although it'd still need charging.  I've also got 1 x 110Ah
leisure battery, which'd run a standalone thing, such as a wifi point or
12v sound system... can throw those into the melée.