[HacktionLab] Call for papers: Expanding the frontiers of, hacking

mark mark at aktivix.org
Thu Jun 30 19:45:31 UTC 2011

> On 27/06/11 22:25, mark wrote:
>> I just spotted this [1] CFP on the Critical Studies in Peer Production
>> website. Would anyone be interested in making a joint submission?
(snip)

On 28/06/11 17:46, Sy wrote:
> I'd be up for doing something... What were you thinking of co-authoring
> a piece about? Hacktionlab/BarnCamp and creating spaces for knowledge
> exchange between hacktivists and other political activists, looking not
> only at the politics of hacking, but how this might extends to
> connections and encounters with broader political movements, with
> reference to collaboratively creative communities and the problematics
> of encountering consumer culture within activism, might be an
> interesting paper
>
> Cheers
>
> Sy

Hi Sy,

The kind of angle I was thinking about was something vaguely around the
relations between experts and laity (as hinted at in the CFP),
challenging enclosure of knowledge and professional exclusivity as
informed by an anti-authoritarian hacker politics; and how that
intersects with the personal needs of group members for identity and status.

My problematisation was to be something about the unmet and
unarticulated needs of participants limiting the praxis in groups and
hack-spaces to a particular subset of the possible futures that could
be generated (from self-psychology and systems theory viewpoints) but
your suggestion of focusing on the encounters with consumerism is very
important, and perhaps more urgent from an environmental perspective. I
would be happy to write on either or both of these themes with you.

If nobody else is interested at this stage, perhaps we should take the
discussion off-list?

Mark