[HacktionLab] fractal+html5 workshop idea for BarnCamp

dan.threadme dan.threadme at gmail.com
Thu May 12 11:46:06 UTC 2011

This really resonates with me. My first exposure to Hactionlab was the one
up in Bradford, where I was introduced to the command line. By no means was
I hand walked through it but efforts were made to give a very quick
introduction that made what followed (a guide to hyperactive) seem
achievable.

The gathering placed an emphasis on being mindful of using unnecessary
technical language, but did not feel like it was gagged. I feel clear and
accessible excitement is contagious, which is what I experienced up in
Bradford.

So I agree with the points that Adelayde has made.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Adelayde Skidmore <adelayde at riseup.net>wrote:

>  On 12/05/2011 00:27, Ben Green wrote:
> > Quoting "Mike Harris" <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:
> >
> >> Be interested to hear what people think about it, and if anyone's
> >> interested in doing it.
> >
> > I might watch from afar, but not a developer so not so relevant for
> > me. I think it's a bit techie for a nerd gagged gathering too,
> > soooooo, please people on this list pledge your support to let me know
> > I'm wrong.
> My understanding of the nerd gag is for techs to refrain from using
> unexplained jargon in workshops, and also diverting/perverting
> discussions down a jargon-infested avenue that can isolate other people
> involved in the discussion.  Personally this applies as much to
> computing related topics as it does for others.  So, for example, if
> we're chatting about social movements and two people get talking about
> the comparison of Marxist doctrine verses the recent writings of Noam
> Chomsky, that would also require a nerd gag imho.
>
> I kind of therefore think that if a workshop is honestly presented as a
> techie workshop and no qualms are made about it being anything else, to
> wit: this one really needs people who know some maths past GCSE level
> and also have a handle on programming, then that might be okay.
>
> Obviously we need to schedule workshops closely to make sure there are
> alternatives running in parrallel to give everyone something to do.
>
> My aim here I guess was doing a proper geeky one to give those who like
> that kind of stuff something to get there hands into.  Although I also
> promise lots of very pretty pictures of fractals, so it would also
> appeal to those into freeform jazz art!
>

> > The canvas element is a great new web technology, with amazing scope,
> > so from that perspective it would be good to see some people stick
> > their hands up for it. Otherwise I think we should save it for one of
> > the other no nerd gag Hacktionlab Gatherings.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > ==
> > From Ben Green

*Dan Hassan*