[HacktionLab] how to turn off logging

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Nov 28 16:12:46 UTC 2011

On 28/11/11 15:55, bou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is this the the only resource available that collects information on how
> to turn off logging and enhance privacy?
>
> https://we.riseup.net/debian/privacy
>
> if so, that's a link for the book.

Hi,

- From that page:
> store the IPs and emails in the greylisting database using a one-way
SHA-1 hash function instead of clear-text tuples.

I've always thought you weren't supposed to do that , cos an attacker
can just pre-calculate the SHA-1s of all the IP4 addresses.

Cheers,

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK