[HacktionLab] [FM Discuss] Press Release: Tunisian Activists Teach How To Bypass Internet Censorship

mick fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Mon Oct 3 22:18:21 UTC 2011

with reference to alan's email about non free tools, interestingly
this is the only floss manuals with non free tools

the reason behind this is that it was felt that human rights trumped
free software advocacy in the case of this particular book. a
pragmatic decision to work around specific situations to do with
circumvention needs.

However the authors would be very happy to see a revised edition with
only free tools,
OR
also happy for the book to be republished with the non-free tools stripped out.

There's also some very interesting developments in relation to Booki
coming up, and the French Flossmanuals community are also very
interested in recreating a booki > scribus workflow .
As that community have close contacts with the scribus developers they
are going to try to make it easier to export from booki into scribus.
Or rather write a new importer to import the booki html in to scribus.

Interestingly enough (for all those that are into open standards) -
the booki-zip format, which is a structured series of html docs with a
table of contents and images, is very similar to the epub format,
so
we are looking to export to a very vanilla epub format to be able to
be imported by other programs like scribus, and maybe as a good
archiving format.

more soon!
mick in berlin