[HacktionLab] create tunnels through firewalls. was: [FM Discuss] Press Release: Tunisian Activists Teach How To Bypass Internet Censorship

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Fri Oct 14 09:59:14 UTC 2011

On 14/10/11 10:25, Adelayde Skidmore wrote:
> On 14/10/2011 08:56, xifer wrote:
>>> I think this goes beyond the interest of the user targeted as an
>>> audience with he media tools booklet.
>>>
>> that type of functionality is useful to those stuck behind corporate etc
>> firewalls with filter lists and so on
> +1 - also those stuck behind country firewalls.
>
> Tell ye what: I'll try to write something general and short with links
> to more resources, and see if it fits in somewhere.
>
> Also note, any VPN software will give you this ability, it's not limited
> to ssh.

Hi,

I wrote a howto last year which you're welcome to plunder:
http://charlieharvey.org.uk/page/ssh_socks_proxy

Thinking of stuff like this, I was going to write a piece on sending IP
traffic through DNS (which is mega useful for bypassing firewalls). I'd
intended to write it for my site, but I'd be happy to cross post to a
hacktionlab blog.

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK