[HacktionLab] Some style questions about Tech Tools

Beth McMillan teradaisyspawn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 13:49:23 UTC 2011

Hi chums,

I've been doing a quick sweep through the FlossManuals version of Tech
Tools, looking for spelling errors, grammatical and formatting
inconsistencies. I've got a few questions for discussion.

1. What are we doing with URLs?

   - Are we doing footnotes or in-text links?
   - And are we shortening all links to tiny.booki.cc?
   - If we are shortening links, are we using descriptive names (like
   http://tiny.booki.cc/?videoplatforms) or are we leaving them as short
   strings of characters (like http://tiny.booki.cc/?0ER8)?

2. Are we using "double quotes" or 'single quotes'?

3. When discussing Linux in general is it "GNU/Linux" or just "Linux"? (I
prefer GNU/Linux)

4. Similarly, are we saying "Free Software", "Libre Software", "Open Source"
or, as in one chapter, "Free/Libre/Open Source Software (FLOSS)"? (I prefer
Libre Software)

My plan is to sweep through every couple of weeks and proof read the whole
thing each time, so the newest version will usually be grammatically
correct. I hope that's okay with all y'all.

-Beth