[HacktionLab] Defining HacktionLab

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Sun Sep 25 15:40:10 UTC 2011

Hi

Seeing as we're asking various tech collectives to define themselves
[1], I thought HactionLab should probably do similar.

Here's my first draft to get the ball rolling. All criticism welcome,
but constructive criticism preferred :P

HactionLab in 100 words
=======================
HacktionLab is UK tech-activist run network that creates regular
convergence spaces where activists interested in the areas of
alternative media, renewable energy, on-line video distribution, free
software or any other form of activism that utilises technology can get
together and plan how to harness the technology to support grass roots
social movements.

We recently produced a booklet, Tech Tools for Activists, showing
non-tech people how they can use technology securely. People involved in
HacktionLab are often involved with other media & tech projects such as:
Aktivix, Dissident Island Radio, Indymedia, Network23, Tachanka,
VisionOnTV, and many more.

HactionLab in one sentence
==========================
A network of tech-activists harnessing technology to support grass roots
social movements.

List of services
# Friendly gatherings (around three per year) where tech-oriented people
come together to look at how we can use good technology for social &
environmental benefits, and how we can stop using bad technology.
# An email list where people can ask tech related questions.

[1]
http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/Hacktionlab_Manchester_2011_Notes#Notes

- --
penguin