[HacktionLab] How To Bypass Internet Censorship

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Sep 28 22:05:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:24:03AM +0100, mick fuzz wrote:
> I think it would be good to get some of these and maybe some of the
> similar ones from flossmanuals on the stall - Open Web, Command Line,
> Basic Internet Security, Ardour - 5 each maybe?

I can't agree that the http://www.howtobypassinternetcensorship.org/ is of use. Some of the writing about the concepts is useful, but it promotes the use of closed source software, created by US governmental and private sector organisations. Links are dead or go to spyware/spam sites. Some of the examples of proxy usage appear to be dangerous ( i.e. promote the thought that what you are doing is private whilst the traffic is trivial to snoop )

Freegate: published by dit-inc.us "In February 2002, DIT started a pilot project with US government. In May 2002, this project was extended for one year. On March 4, 2002, DIT published DynaWeb with Epochtimes to provide web access to forbidden sites for Internet users in China."  Closed source .. no public analysis, who knows what it does or how it work

simurgh: Closed source software downloaded from an arabic only web site, https://simurghesabz.net/ no analysis available.

yourfreedom.net: Closed source software, pay to get use, http://www.yourfreedom.net looks like spam site to me.

alkasir: Closed source software; From the FAQ on the site "Q: How does your circumvention technology work? A: It is not possible to explain the details here"

JonDo: This is more interesting.  The source code is available, and looks like it might be free license.  It's a pay for service again ( if you want better than slow access ). The FAQ spreads FUD about TOR. Its not clear to me that the MIX network they are using is any better ( or worse ) than tor.

sabzproxy: No source, the website it suggests to use is down ( http://www.kahkeshan-e-sabz.info/home ) and from looking at the screen shots on http://en.flossmanuals.net/bypassing-censorship/ch014_using-sabzproxy/ it appears to be not using any encryption to protect the user from trivial snooping of traffic.

The book makes reference to  https://sesawe.net/ ( which looks dead ) and http://sesaweenglishforum.net/ which looks like a spam site now.

The VPN providers all seem to be bundles of closed source software from private sector organisations ( do people really just click on InstallReallySecretVPN.exe downloaded from w4r3z.net ? )

The section on tor, openvpn and ssh tunnels seemed good. The rest of it dangerous.

Regards,

Alan Dawson
--
GPG key: http://aland.burngreave.net/files/e81a4bba.gpg.pub.asc