[HacktionLab] Getting data 100% safe

Garcon du Monde gdm at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Apr 5 23:42:22 UTC 2012

hi,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:01:11PM -0000, enjoyeverymoment at riseup.net wrote:
> Folks, please let me know if you want to help solve a problem! It's a
> personal problem but one I know others would like to have a solid answer &
> method for.

problems are fun :-)

i think lots of people already rose to the challenge, so i'm not going
to chip in. i'm gonna raise a couple of counter points, though.

first, who's your enemy? defining that greatly helps you think about how
you need to secure your data. second, what threat do they actually pose?
and third, what are the consequences of 'the enemy' finding out what my
data are? i think that getting a balance here is key: a certain amount
of energy will have to be expended securing data, and that needs to be
weighed against the likelihood of the data being discovered plus the
consequences of what would happen if it were.

also, whenever i see "100%" in a question, my first reaction is to think
that the person posing the question hasn't thought about the problem for
long enough on their own yet.

a further thought is, what information are you trying to hide? as many
will be aware, a lot of information can be gleaned from "transactional"
data - i.e. who is/was communicating with who else. this is part of the
issue that has been heavily in the news this past week, with (renewed)
governmental proposals to track communications metadata. it's no good
passing 10GB data to wikileaks if it can be traced back to you merely by
the size of the data footprint on bandwidth usage.

anyway, my tips are similar to others who've contributed so far: use
free software on a linux-based system, and if you're really paranoid try
and work out a system whereby your data requires someone else to 'turn
it on' before you can access it - preferably in another country. that
way, if anyone gets you, you can (plausibly?) deny being able to access
it. of course you're still not protected from someone looking over your
shoulder - as has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread.

and as for RIPA? fuck RIPA: rules are there to be broken. but, as i said,
it's worth weighing the consequences first...

solidarity,

	--gdm

--
GPG: 5607 E4BC C6B6 90F4 5EBC  B348 D01B 9D77 912F 963C