[HacktionLab] Whats in a name - 'hacktionlab' Re: banner/poster/flyer/logo for Spring 2012

Adelayde Skidmore adelayde at riseup.net
Tue Apr 10 20:07:02 UTC 2012

On 08/04/2012 13:23, penguin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm not precious either way. And would defo stand aside from having
> drawn out discussions about the name.
>
> That said, I think 'hack' has, for a long time, had a 'popular'
> understanding of cracking when used in computer terms. However, people
> within the 'computer scene' still have a broader understanding of the
> DIY spirit of enquiry (e.g. hack-spaces are as likely to be formed of
> electronics or safe cracking bods as they are coding bods). I guess it
> might come down to who HacktionLab is trying to appeal to.
I feel I must pipe up because I came up with the name HacktionLab, and
also the domain name Hacktivista.net too.  I was never really sure at
the beginning about it, but now that we're on the 5th year of using it,
and we've got 10 events behind us, I do feel like it's our name and we
should keep using it.

For me, the original name came out of the hacklab movement, largely from
Spain, and the idea of 'hack' as in to improvise with the tools at hand
and also to subvert the tools at hand to use in the way you wish, rather
than how they were originally intended.  The Hacktion part them was
improvising the use of technology, but more widely, anything at hand to
do an action / make a political statement.

And Lab of course reinforces the improvisations/experimental nature of
it all.

So in short, I like it for it's original meaning and think that it's
still valid.

Though for an event, we ought to be able to 'brand' ourselves to fit.
So for the Rebel Soul area at Shambala, why don't we call ourselves
Cyber Rebels, or Net Rebels or something to that effect (apols for the
cheesyness), and then reveal our true colours once there...

I feel that although the media may subvert or confuse terms such as
hacktivist, hacktion and hacktivism, just like Graham says, like the
terms hack and hacker, we know what they mean and we ought to keep using
them for what we believe they mean.

Also, I'm personally not really bothered about the association with the
more general media-accepted term of hacktivism: surely it nicely stirs
things, it's a little provocative and it grabs attention?  Further
investigation into what we actually do reveals that we are not Anonymous.

Finally, the domain name hacktivista.net has always been a little odd,
dunno quite what it was all about.  Perhaps we ought to be hacktionlab.org?