[HacktionLab] tech tools illustration

Ben Green ben at bristolwireless.net
Sat Jan 21 18:29:45 UTC 2012

Quoting Eleanor Greenhalgh <nor at riseup.net>:

> Hi all,
> here are links to an illustration I made for the new tech tools booklet.
> (Thought it'd be easiest to host them myself.) Let me know if you want
> larger versions etc.
>
> B&W for print (900px wide, 300dpi)
> http://pzwart3.wdka.hro.nl/~egreenhalgh/techTools/techToolsBWsmall.JPG
> Colour for web (900px wide, 72dpi)
> http://pzwart3.wdka.hro.nl/~egreenhalgh/techTools/techToolsColourSmall.JPG

That's frickin' genius.

Sadly we agreed last meeting that the next booklet wasn't going to be
called Tech Tools for Activists, here's the relevant parts of the
discussion (it's relevant to the design, which might need a couple of
changes):

Nov 18 21:22:10 <marker>	Regarding the target group... I would like to
suggest that we change the title of the book, by a single letter. I
think we should use "Tech Tools for Activism", rather than "... for
Activists".
Nov 18 21:22:20 <penguin>	so not a generic floss is cool, but a how to
make floss work for activists?
Nov 18 21:22:24 <marker>	The reason being that these tools are really
for everyone, and in general I think that for people to identify as
'activists' is counterproductive because it propagates the idea that
political activity is just for a special group of people. I think what
we want is for everyone to be empowered to undertake political
activity, so we should encourage everyone to think about their
activism, rather than addressing a narrow self-defined social group
like 'activis
Nov 18 21:24:51 <BenG>	given that activists include everyone
politically active, and not just a subclass of human
Nov 18 21:25:03 <BenG>	we could change the wording marker
Nov 18 21:25:14 <penguin>	marker - can you define the target audience?
Nov 18 21:25:23 <marker>	hmmm...
Nov 18 21:25:44 <marker>	people who want to use tech tools in their
political activity?
Nov 18 21:26:02 <BenG>	I'd go for that
Nov 18 21:26:29 <BenG>	any pluses or minuses on that peeps?
Nov 18 21:26:49 <penguin>	i agree - think it's a matter of words, not
intent. we can change words at quite a late stage
Nov 18 21:27:23 <BenG>	or marker could edit the notes on flossmanuals
right now if we all agree

We edited the style guide on flossmanuals.

Cheers,
==
 From Ben Green