[HacktionLab] Exciting news from HacktionLab

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Wed Jan 25 18:35:18 UTC 2012

On Wed 25 Jan 2012 11:02:29 GMT, Ben Green [ben at bristolwireless.net]
emailed subject: "Re: [HacktionLab] Exciting news from HacktionLab"
saying ...

> Quoting m3shrom at riseup.net:
>
>> If we can have a super-geek button that translates things into geeky
>> stuff
>> that is hard for normals to understand then I htink that would be good
>> for comic effect and also to show that we have tried really hard to make
>> our main site understandable for everyone.

+1 (that means I agree, for those of you that might not be familiar with
the notation used on some email lists)

> The button I'd like to see is a sort of bug report one, where you report
> that some section of the site was confusing as it was in geek speak, or
> not properly explained.

Here's an example of I imagined the 'plain English' versus 'geek speak'
might be implemented for a email service provider.

Plain
- -----
We ensure that all information that might identify you, and all of your
data that we store, will be securely protected.

Geek speak
- ----------
All of our traffic is encrypted using SSL.
Our server uses the remove_ip Apache mod to ensure your IP address is
not logged
Our mail database and all customer records are encrypted using the
algorithm ABC123.
Server admins can only access the server with an WER453 SSH key
Etc.

The geek speak section would always be confusing to non-techs (and many
techs for that matter). So, I think there are three options for the site ...

1. Exclude all geek speak
2. Include geek speak, but make it clear that it's geek speak (e.g. put
it after the plain English version wit a heading 'tech spec')
3. Have a button to switch between.

That's my tuppence

HTH

Cheers