[HacktionLab] instant messaging irc, pidgin, otr, xchat, wtf

bou bou at aktivix.org
Wed Mar 14 12:26:16 UTC 2012

On 13/03/12 17:35, m3shrom wrote:
> On 13/03/12 15:28, Dave Hollis wrote:
> BUT (and this is a big one) - as far as I can work out it is only Free
> Software on linux

I wouldn't think it a big deal that it is not Free Software for non-Free
systems.
> The mac and windows versions have 30 day time outs which really sucks!

Not sure about mac but on windows there is another version, Xchat-2 or
similar, that does not have the 30 day trial thing.

For windows there is also Kvirc
> I'm also particularly interested if anyone has use of how pidgin can be
> used with jabber protocol which is now called xmpp
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Messaging_and_Presence_Protocol

I have been using it for a few years now, both on windows (XP at least,
probably the earlier version too, and 7) and Ubuntu (since version 5.10
to 11.04)
> i'm sure this is supposed to be very useful in lots of ways but i'm not
> sure exactly how to us yet.

It is like irc only designed for one-to-one conversations; for instance
you have a more accurate "picture" of how (whether) the other person is
connected as you get instantly notified if the other person has been
disconnected; on irc you're notified after a few minutes of time-out.

You are also notified with a sound when some one speaks to you.

It also works with the irc protocol but it is not designed for it; I
still use xChat or irssi for irc.

Hope this helps?

--
https://network23.org/bou