[HacktionLab] instant messaging irc, pidgin, otr, xchat, wtf

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Wed Mar 14 17:24:20 UTC 2012

> As it's extensible, and people have written extension for things like
> publish and subscribe there's a whole CMS built using XMPP to distribute
> users and content. There's probably more, but this one I know,
> http://www.anymeta.net/ [grumble: the folk that built that one, built it
> on the premise it would be open-sourced and never did]
>
> Similarly that's why XMPP can have video too.
>
> It's been around for ever though, and uptake has always been slow, even
> for 1-to-1 chats.

This is all great info. I'm going to start a section on xmpp / jabber it
on the TTFA booklet here
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/tech-tools-for-activists-2/_edit/

In the chapter Organising and Networking Online
Please pitch in with info and tools there if you have time

btw if you want to see how we are getting on with version 2 of the
booklet at a glance you can see everything (with slightly rubbish
formatting) on this page

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/tech-tools-for-activists-2/_full/

nice one