[HacktionLab] Fwd: Pirate bay

Sikes sikes at squat.net
Tue May 1 16:08:04 UTC 2012

HAI

On torrent sites:

there is a gazillion torrent sites on the net. As for recommendations,
isohunt.com does a good job for movies, eztv.it is THE site for TV stuff.

On proxies (and alikes):

As most solutions to DNS blocking and even IP blocking itself have been
mentioned, I would like to focus on what reactions from the community have
been taken in other countries lately. Notably in the Netherlands a similar
(set of judgements) has ordered 2 ISPs (Ziggo and xs4all) to block the
piratebay and mirrors (mainly DNS , some IP)

The dutch Pirate Party has set up a proxy of their own and loudly
advertized it, and was promptly taken to court by the BREIN foundation
(dutch intellectual property extortion racket simmialr to MPAA/RIAA).

Beside the fact that their proxy is a nice thing, it's just one of many.
The real feature is the loud advertizing of it, and the ensuing public
debate/onslaught, as 'censoring the internet' is not very popular
anywhere.

I don't like the 'party' bit in Pirate Party that much, but setting up
such a proxy and using it to pull down the web-censors pants is just
great!

Where from here?

I believe that an approach similar to the PP in NL ( with or without the
PP ) could be a great success here. I can imagine different variations on
that theme (meme?), from the overt (official entity ready to be sued) to the
covert (proxy elsewhere far out of reach but well advertized in the UK,
sue us if you can get a grip!).

Maybe something to discuss during the Hacktionlab?

'the internet perceives censorship as a bug and routes around it'

kizziz
IAH
fighting for your digital rights:
http://www.gnu.org/ (A)