[HacktionLab] hacktion lab May 2012 workshop

Sikes sikes at squat.net
Thu May 3 14:53:42 UTC 2012

HAI

This leads us to the field of soft/social secure computing at large. Fact
is that for many activists, 'hard' cryptography is beyond reasonable reach
mainly because the tech is difficult to fathom and therefore often next to
impossible to implement.

What is reachable and easy to use are the alternatives to the big 'free'
email (and other digital communications) providers, especially if there is
a layer of tech savvy geeks willing to put good efforts in setting up such
an infrastructure. Riseup.net, axtivix.org, squat.net, puscii.nl,
network23.org and indenti.ca are just some examples.

Another important aspect is the fact that ppl are currently willing to
give away insights on their most intimate details willingly, no attacks
whatsover required!

Such fundamental question of intentional use and control of personal data
and communications are closer to the reality of most of the intended
audience of the hacktionlab, than the inner workings of PKI and details of
its implementation.

If ppl ask at the hacktion lab, where they should start, I believe that
there should be a set of practical solution at hand:

- explain why _not_ using your real name and other details on the net is
not cowardice but good practice
- point ppl to a list of _easy_ to use services (proxies and alikes)
- give out webmail accounts on trusted servers on location

and so on

kizziz
IAH

fighting for your digital rights: