[HacktionLab] metadata, gpg and Tails

mickfuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Sun May 6 08:23:59 UTC 2012

That metadata tool is shipped as part of tails

We were also talking about making email encryption easier. Thanks to
those people who helped me test out that workshop on p2pu
http://p2pu.org/en/groups/encrypt-and-sign-your-email/
We learned a lot!

We did it but we learned that getting the tools installed on mac and
windows is a bit broken now - (enigmail doesn't find the binaries easily) -

So this has lead me to be more interested in TAILS for those users and
also to progress quicker in workshops!

TAILS can live on a USB key and you can boot into a linux systems

This is interesting as their proposed solutions for firegpg being
deprecated - they created a gpg applet
https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/openpgp_passphrase_encryption/index.en.html

here is what they say about tails

Tails is a live DVD
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/live%5FCD> or live USB
<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/live%5FUSB> that aims at
preserving your *privacy* and *anonymity*.
It helps you to:

  * *use the Internet anonymously* almost anywhere you go and on any
    computer:
    all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor
    network <https://www.torproject.org/>;
  * *leave no trace* on the computer you're using unless you ask it
    explicitly;
  * *use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools* to encrypt your files,
    email and instant messaging.

https://tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html
more info