[HacktionLab] HacktionLab Digest, Vol 53, Issue 19

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Oct 1 10:13:50 UTC 2012

On 30/09/12 18:23, johnc wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
> There seems to be a bit of a war going on with claims and couter-claims
> about whether or not it's possible to do crypto securely in browser with
> javascript see below for a taste:
>
> https://github.com/kaepora/cryptocat/issues/16
>
> I honestly don't know enough to say who is right but the underlying
> cryptography, (OTR encryption), is available in traditional desktop
> program via the the OTR plugin for pidgin.
>
> It's not too hard to to use this with your own jabber/XMPP server, I
> recommend ejabberd.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me. OK, that was basically the position I'd
got too about cryptocat as well. We're not planning to use it or
necessarily recommend that people do, we're probably going to get the
author to write something on the importance of privacy on the interwebs
in general...

Cheers,

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK