[HacktionLab] late homework - anyone speak Mediawiki?

Tom Lord toml at aptivate.org
Fri Oct 5 11:27:41 UTC 2012

>> http://humerus.tachanka.org/w/index.php/Main_Page
>

> here are some notes from occupywiki dev
>
> https://occupywiki.org.uk/wiki/Help:Maps
> https://occupywiki.org.uk/wiki/Map
> https://occupywiki.org.uk/wiki/Map/pointers

Thanks Alan - the last link there is the key. So Occupy have basically
created a list of pointer coordinates on that page which feeds into the
main map (link above) to create the pointers there. It basically
hard-codes the data, without storing much else in that structure that
would be of use e.g. links to organisation, long description, etc.

I could do something like that (and it's kind of where I've got to if I
can't figure out how do do what I want to do) AND then I would have to
maintain two separate blocks of data -

1) for the organisation details other than the coordinates, which
generates the tables and linked subcategory tables that you can see on
the home page of my site, and

2) for the coordinates and labels for the pointers on the map, maybe on
a separate page like Occupy is doing, or maybe just hard-coded into the
main page.

What I want to do is to incorporate the coordinates into the existing
data structure for organisations, and run an ask:: query on those to
generate the map, so that all the Organisation data is stored in one
convenient place. This is what the example on the semantic maps page is
doing: http://mapping.referata.com/wiki/Examples/Query_by_category

...and I thought I had copied the relevant bits of markup to do the same
on mine, with sadly dissimilar effects. Unfortunately I have about 2
hours of experience with this technology and my champion developer seems
to have gone on holiday after getting us most of the way this far :-)

cheers,
Tom.